Athletes - Registering, submitting results, rules and FAQs (NSAF series)
How Does this Work?
Check out this video about how to compete in a virtual meet:
Participation Terms and Conditions
- Eligibility: This is a high school event with just one division. Full time students in grades 7-12 during the 2019/2020 school year are welcome to participate but all MUST utilize high school implements for all events.
- It is strongly advised that you get the permission of your parent/guardian before participating in this event.
- The videos you submit (more info below) must demonstrate proper social distancing to be counted in the results.
Registration and Participation Details
- Download AthleticAPP from Apple App Store or Google Play.
- Sign in with your Athletic.net account—or create an account if you don't have one.
- Request a team code from your coach and enter that code into AthleticAPP to associate yourself with your team. This is not necessary if you are registering as unattached.
- Use the mobile app or the Athletic.net website to visit the Register page to enter yourself into events.
- Compete in an event. Take photo or video proof (see the specific instructions below). Submit the results using AthleticAPP:
- Tap the Notifications (
) icon at the bottom, then choose the Virtual Events tab.
- Select the correct meet.
- Tap the event, enter your mark, and upload the photo or video.
- Videos are required for all events other than the 5K Run and the 3K Racewalk. The video must show the full running time of the event from start to finish. Please see event-specific instructions below.
- For the 5K Run and 3K Racewalk, a photo of GPS software showing both time and distance is required.
How to record evidence of your performance:
All competition must take place during the submission window. Results from events contested before the opening date will be marked as invalid. Running events must take place on a track. To ensure your result will be validated, please replicate the technique in the example videos and photos shown below.
Running events (other than 5K Run and 3K Racewalk):
A video is required and must show the entire event on a track, start to finish
Tips for the Starter:
- Start the watch from the finish line and shout loud enough for the runner to hear you
- Start the watch when you say "Go!" - NOT when you see movement
- Hold phone in one hand, start the watch in the other, keep the watch in the video frame
Example video links:
- 100 Meter Dash
- 200 Meter Dash
- 400 Meter Dash
- 800 Meter Run
- 1600 and 3200 Meter Run
- 100/110 and 400 Meter Hurdles
5K Run and 3K Racewalk:
A photo of a GPS device is required and must include distance, time and a map of the course on a track.
Example photo link: 5000 Meter Run and 3000 Meter Racewalk
A video is required and must show entire event, start to finish, including the landing and the measurement process.
Take a separate video for each attempt, including the measurement process, and submit only the video of the best attempt.
Long Jump, Triple Jump, Javelin, Shot Put, Discus, Hammer:
- Before attempt, extend measuring tape from field to board or ring.
- Jump or throw
- Person #1 - mark landing spot with beginning of tape
- Person #2 - take measurement at board or ring
Example video links:
High Jump and Pole Vault:
- Have a measuring device ready and plan to take a separate video of each attempt.
- Person #1 - hold beginning of tape to the ground below middle of the bar
- Person #2 - extend tape to middle of the bar and take measurement
- May require an additional pre-marked rod for pole vault
Example video links:
Do I have to participate in all three meets to qualify for the final meet?
No. It is only necessary to compete in one meet but participation in all three is welcome. The final meet is open to the top 50 performers combined from the first three meets in each event - a total of 50 per event - in each of the 18 individual events.
Is pacing allowed?
Pacing by one runner of the same age division is allowed (no pacing by runners above high school age under any circumstances), if starting at the same time from the same start line. Pacing by multiple runners, runners rotating in and out, or anything with wheels is NOT allowed.
Why is the time I submitted different in the final results?
All times submitted will be considered hand times and will be rounded up to the nearest tenth and converted as follows:
- Races under 300 meters: 0.24 seconds will be added
- Races 300 meters up to (but not including) 800 meters: 0.14 seconds will be added
- Races 800 meters and above: No further conversion factor will be added
Please see Hand Time Conversion Standards for further details.
How do I resubmit a video?
- Make sure you are in an area with a strong signal, preferably WiFi. If the deadline is approaching, do not delete your post because you will lose the option to submit a post after the deadline.
- Tap on the three dots in the upper right corner of the post (DO NOT delete the post)
- Choose Add Video and follow the steps to submit, making sure that you keep the app open until the video is completely done uploading
- Return to the meet results to confirm that the video has posted with the result (may take up to 5 minutes)
- If that doesn't work, leave your post there and...
- Log into Athletic.net on a computer (may have a better connectivity than your phone)
- Go to your profile or the meet results, find the post, and add the video in the same method as listed above
What is results moderation and how does it work?
Each result submitted will be reviewed by the meet host and then marked as Verified or Invalid.
Does my coach need to register me?
No. Both individual registration and team-connected registration are allowed. As an individual, you can register for this meet at any time before the submission window closes. To register as competing for your team, your coach will need to add the virtual event to the team's calendar, and then give you the team code so you can connect to the team via AthleticAPP. Once these steps are accomplished, you can choose to register as either unattached, or as a member of your team.