XC Scoring 2022 Upgrades
Beginning October 3, 2022, the way AthleticLIVE calculates and displays cross country scores will change.
Previously, we allowed "partial" team scores to appear on the live scoreboard. This feature allowed timers to show real-time scores as each person crossed the line. However, this often led to slightly incorrect scores as it scored everyone, not just people on complete teams.
In order to show more accurate real-time scores, we wait to show team scores until 3 teams have all scorers in. Until this happens, all teams will show the number of current scorers divided by the number of scorers that comprise a complete team (e.g. 3/5). Once 3 teams have all their scorers in, points will appear and a visual cue will emphasize complete teams.
The following form options are available for the entire meet and per-event.
- Show Team Scores - Display team scores on this meet.
- Show Team Scores on the Live Scoreboard (Requires a Pro meet) - Display teams scores on the live scoreboard
- Wait to show final scores until X teams have all scorers in? - By default, we will not show scores until 3 teams have all of their scorers in. This is usually sufficient to prevent the winning team from changing
- Read the start list and exclude teams that don't have the minimum number of scorers - If you use a start list, then we can determine which teams are available to score at any given moment. You can also manually exclude teams if you wish.
- Include all athletes from non-excluded teams in real-time scoring? - This box is unchecked by default, and we only score teams with the minimum number of scorers. Check this box if you are confident that you have manually excluded incorrect teams and/or you are using the start list to exclude incomplete teams. This allows us to calculate scores based on all athletes as opposed to only completed teams.
- Wait to show final scores until X teams have all scorers in? is set to 3.
- Until 3 teams have all of their scorers in, the list shows the number of scorers divided by the number of required scorers. A diagonal background appears behind the score to denote that the score isn't ready to show yet.
- Once 3 teams have all of their scorers, we show points and remove the diagonal background.
- Scores are only calculated between those 3 teams. When the 4th team arrives, scores will be calculated between those 4 teams, and so on.
Here are a few scenarios where certain options are useful.
If only two teams are in the meet, set Wait to show final scores until X teams have all scorers in? to 2.
League Meet or Invitational without a Start List
The defaults work well for a regular meet.
Championship Meet with a Start List
Check Read the start list and exclude teams that don't have the minimum number of scorers. This ensures that only teams with at least the minimum number of valid entries are included in scores. If a team dips below the minimum number of valid entries due to a DNF or DQ, that team will be removed from score calculations.
If between this and manually excluding teams, you feel comfortable that every excluded athlete is accounted for, turn on Include all athletes from non-excluded teams in real-time scoring? and set Wait to show final scores until X teams have all scorers in? to 1. When the first team has all 5 people across, their score will appear and be accurate barring a DNF/DQ later in the race.
Championship Meet without a Start List
The default display ensures that scores are not shown unless 3 teams have the minimum number of scorers. However, if you know for certain which teams won't be in a certain race, you could Manually Exclude Teams and check Include all athletes from non-excluded teams in real-time scoring? for the race or a single event. This would include all non-excluded athletes up to the number in the scores and make scores more accurate. If 5 score and 2 displace but 10 people run, only 7 athletes on that team would be considered for scoring purposes.